If you follow me on Instagram (@cosmetic_composition) then you may have seen some snaps from my day at Skin Inc’s Face & Body Expo! The 2018 Midwest Face & Body Conference and Expo was held an hour away from me so obviously I had to attend. This expo was targeted towards the spa and skincare industry and had industry members from all over the Midwest in attendance. I went with a few girls from esthetics school but ended up roaming around by myself chatting with companies and attending educational supplier classes. If you ever get a chance to attend a professional or hobby conference I highly recommend it – the experience is super fun and will leave you wanting to learn so much more.
Here are some quick tips that I learned from Sunday’s expo:
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes (I’m regretting the heeled boots I wore) but make sure you look presentable enough for networking
- Carry along a little notepad and pen for any educational classes or poster sessions you may attend
- I’d recommend being caffeinated and well stocked with snacks on your person, no one wants to talk with a tired, hangry attendee
- Breath mints – right before I walked out the door to leave my mom recommended that I pick up some mints and it was definitely a good move. I felt so much more comfortable talking with representatives when I knew my breath would be fresh
- For hobby conferences with lots of merchandise definitely, bring your wallet because most retailers will have a show discount. Vendors at the Face & Body expo offered 30% off already discounted professional products
I can’t wait to attend more conferences like this one and keep exploring the esthetics industry!